Wednesday, October 13, 2010

so I'm not a professional

So, I read about this cake on someone else's blog and thought it was awesome, so I thought I would take a crack at it.  Okay... so I'm not a professional baker (by any means) but it turned out okay.  So here are some things I recently learned by making this cake...

1.  wow! its really tall so make sure your knife it long enough
2.  uhhh, it takes forever to make
3.  make sure you mix the coloring evenly so it turns the right color
4.  uhhh, you must use butter, margarine will NOT substitute
5.  well, lining up the sections "good enough", doesn't make the cake straight
6.  did I mention it takes FOREVER
7.  the cake weighs about 10 lbs so make sure the plate you put it on isn't paper
8.  woah! that uses ALOT of eggs (well, egg whites)
9.  all the dishes make a HUGE mess in the kitchen
10.  It takes forever to finish
There was a slight problem in the finshing of the cake as I was out of butter, so I used margarine...NOT a good idea... the frosting didn't really work, but it tasted okay as it was dripping down the sides!

putting in the filling layer by layer


all the cut off parts trying to even out the layers



So, I definitely won't become a baker any time soon, but it turned out pretty good :)

7 comments:

Molly said...

That is impressive! Nice job! Can't wait to see you guys!

Michelle said...

I must say, that cake would be a hit at a "Pride" party.haha

Very cool. I think it turned out great. Good job! Looks straight to me!

Michelle said...

k so just a side note. I totally dreamed about making this cake last night.haha Apparently I shouldn't read your blog before going to bed. BTW, mine didn't turn out as cute as yours!

Jana Sorensen said...

I want to eat it:) I think it's beautiful! Great Job Kal!

Jill and Travis said...

Awesome! That is a very tall cake!I have also seen this done with cupcakes--separate cake batter into different bowls, dye each bowl a different color, spoon the different batter colors into cupcake liners one layer at a time, and bake! I think they take a while to make, too, but a little easier to frost. (My sister did some blue and orange for BSU--I know you guys are big fans, so next time you have a football party...)

Michael and Julie said...

Ps are u blog stalking my friends? Haha. Looks so yummy! I really want the recipe...and you to come to my house to make it for me! :)

Colleen said...

That is a cool cake!! I think Carla and I are going to try to make it. Fun!